Tuesday 28 October 2014

Cultrural effects



The cultural effects theory is one of four models which sociologists use to explain the effects of media on an audience. The other three models are hypodermic syringe model, Two step flow model and the uses and gratifications theory.

The cultural effects theory states that the effect of media on its audience is not immediate but builds up over a long period of time. It’s a long and subtle process. It can be known as the drip, drip, drip, effect and is associated with neo Marxism. Marxists use it to support capital values and norms.

The more an idea is fed into society through the media the more people will accept it and believe it to be true. For example the media portrays asylum seekers as scroungers and many people believe this is true.

The CEM recognises that an audience is made up of people from varying social backgrounds, who interpret things differently. People do not just passively absorb a media message. However, media can contain strong ideological messages which if people are subjected to identify with.

The media is heavily influenced by dominant and powerful groups in society who use the media to put cross their points of view.  

This will help me in creating a music video as it will allow me to see if I want to convey a message within my music video that the audience will slowly pick up as they watch it. As I make my music video, I will try to include a variety of stimuli that will draw my target audience in and bit by bit put across the message that I want to convey. In my video I will want to show how relationships develop and hurdles that occur within that relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment